The History of Saint Francis Home
The unlikely beginning of the Home was the flight of five Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception from religious persecution in Mexico in 1926. After several moves within the southwest United States, the group settled in a convent home in Santa Ana, California. Three more Sisters soon joined them, and all of them kept busy doing catechetical work for the next 15 years.
In 1942, a chapel was added to their home and blessed, and in that same year the Sisters first began caring for some older ladies at their convent. Wishing to continue that work, the Sisters received a county license in 1944 to care for the aged. Additions to the now-licensed Home allowed them to take in twelve women.
News of the dedicated and loving care of the Sisters soon resulted in a waiting list, so additional property was acquired next to the Home and a new wing added. By 1950, the Home could house 66 residents. Soon after, the original chapel was enlarged and a separate convent for the Sisters was added.
As the home and number of residents grew, a support group was formed to help the Sisters in their mission of care. The St. Francis Guild has been active since the mid-1950s providing volunteer support and raising money to furnish the Home with needed furniture, equipment, supplies, and repairs. The holiday boutiques and fund-raising dinners are still successful and enjoyable events.
Final purchases of adjoining property in the 1970s and renovations of original areas have created the Home as it is today. Throughout its growth, one constant has been the loving and compassionate care given each resident of Saint Francis Home.